Saturday, April 19, 2008

We live in a van down by the river

















Almost. We live in a trailer down by the channel. (Gastineau Channel) We're on Douglas island. We finally got a place on our anniversary, which was Wednesday, the 16th. It was funny when we were signing the rental agreement and Bryce was like, "What's the date today?" He was so busted. We've just been getting moved in. We bought a 13 inch tv. It's pretty sweet. Life in the trailer has been different. Drake keeps saying "I miss my home in Utah." Bryce and I agree with him. Bryce just keeps reminding us it's only for 6 months.
Bryce went in for his first day of training today. I think it's kindof an informal thing, considering tonight they're having a bonfire. Monday is his real first day of training. After we dropped him off, we came up to the Mendenhall Glacier. There's an Earth Day event up here. Is it Earth Day? The Glacier is so beautiful. One can't imagine how awe-inspiring and breathtaking this part of the country is. When I see pictures of Alaska, I'm always like, "Wow, how beautiful." Let me tell you, no camera can capture the true and entire "picture". The wildlife is so plentiful. We see Golden and Bald Eagles just chillin all over the place. It's cool. Everyone has to make sure they lock their garbage cans so the bears don't get it. Even downtown. Crazy. The only animals I don't like here are the damn ravens or crows or whatever. They're freaking huge and annoying. I know I'm kindof a dork, but the trees and plants here are so beautiful too. On the way up and now that we're here I'm always wondering what type of pine tree that is or how that fragile looking flower can survive in this cold, constantly changing weather.
Juneau itself is pretty dirty and not taken care of. The part where the cruise ship passengers hang out is nice, but the rest of it is so gross. You'd think that being in such beautiful surroundings would encourage people who live here to keep the town kept up. It kindof reminds me of Pittsburgh. The homes downtown are really close together and on narrow, winding streets.
Hopefully they'll figure out, and in the meantime, I'll help out by keeping our trailer and trailer park clean. ;)

2 comments:

Popa Espanet said...

Saturday, April 19, 2008 - We are very joyous to hear that you have landed. Must be a great shock to adjust to your new accomodations but if anyone can Yukon! Sorry about that. Here's Nana; Sorry!He's such a funny man. Actually he keeps me smiling. I keep wondering how cold it is there. I can't imagine it could be any colder there, then it is here. We think of you often and hope you all are ajusting to your new surroundings. Let me know what kind of bread you want me to bring. Just kidding, Bryce. We love you all. Love Nana & Popa

Anonymous said...

From the Davis'- Miss you guys around here. Things are so quiet, and well, boring...I like the peace and quiet, but come on!!! Anyhow, glad you guys are settling in. Torie you sound like you've been running crazy.. still having those crazy dreams about your teeth? LOL. The boys miss Drake so much, I think they've been moping around too, like Ken and me. Work is crazy. The weather here can't make up its mind if it wants to be sunny or snowy.. go figure. Utah right? Hmmm.The animals and pictures of the scenery are fantastic and you guys look good. Keep on a bloggin - what a great way to keep in touch eh? Sounds like you had an unforgettable experience in Canada.. Ken will have someone to share stories with now! Ha! Well, gonna say bye for now. Conner and Taylor both say "whaz up" to Drake, and Sissy misses her little bro. We'll check back often.
Later,
Momma Con