Monday, May 26, 2008

Happy Memorial Day people.



My mom and stepdad are still here. It's cool. They give me and Bryce a good break. They help a lot with whatever they can and especially with Drake. My mom adores him. I have to keep her in check though because sometimes she'd let him get away with murder. You know it Mom! :) They brought their mountain bikes. We've gone on two 5 mile or so bike rides. Bryce got to go on them with us too. That's our new family outdoor activity. It's low impact so he doesn't jack his ankle or back up again. Drake loves it. I can't wait until he can ride his own bike though. 40 pounds is a lot extra to be biking up a hill.

We went to the Mendenhall Glacier and hung out at the lake for a while. Ice that's calved off the glacier floats down the lake and lands on the beach. It's so crazy clear. There's not any bubbles in it. The ice is blue at the base of the glacier. I even saw a piece floating in the lake that was blue. The water in the lake is a really nice light green. Almost like the accent wall in our front room. It's really murky. All the sediment from the glacier that comes down with the ice mixes in with the lake and river water. It's cool.

We hiked a little way up the Mendenhall west trail. The forest here is really dense. There's wild blueberry bushes all over and these crazy thorny plants called Devils Clubs. The pines are probably 100 feet tall with huge trunks. They're covered with really thick moss, as is the forest floor. I'll take pics on our next hike.

Well, it's Memorial Day. To me Memorial Day is a crappy reminder of last year's Memorial Day weekend when my Dad got in an accident that changed all of our lives. He was in a really bad auto accident on his way back from Wendover with my two aunts. He no longer has the life he chooses. He now has a life that is dependent on others all the time. I feel so bad for him. I wish I could make his life what it was. It's terrible seeing your parent helpless and childlike. Bryce always says he doesn't want to get old for that exact reason. The way he rolls, who knows if he'll live to see 60.

We went on a tour of the Alaskan Brewery. You get free samples while they give you the tour. It's sweet! In addition to all the standard brews they make, they have a few experimental microbrews you can try. Bryce and I both tried the Jalapeno Amber. Good flavor. We had the Raspberry Wheat the other night at a party. It was too sweet for Bryce, but I liked it, and I don't usually like fruity beer. The other was a nice witbier. It was just a little hoppy. I liked it. I haven't found many beers I don't like though. The brewery is working on getting their beer in Utah too. Wahoo for Bryce! Alaskan Amber is one of his top three favorites. I don't think he's ever found a beer he didn't like. We all know Bryce. Darn Germindian.

Oh, and, NO I'm not pregnant. I'm just chubby.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

if you are chubby...then i'm obese!! love all the pics. looks like you guys are having a good time. randy was pumped to talk to bryce for a minute the other day. love you guys!